I use the finest photography equipment ensuring exceptional quality and reliability.
I always use best-available, professional-grade camera bodies, lenses, speedlights, studio lights, grip equipment, computer hardware, and computer software.
I also own like-quality backup equipment so work can continue when the unthinkable happens. I never compromise on gear.
This is the kit I own and use daily, but this "what's in my photography bag" inventory also serves as an educational recommendation guide that lists many "must have" items for amateur photographers, aspiring photographers, and professional photographers.
As a professional photographer, I've used Nikon cameras, lenses, and speedlights exclusively. Nikon has never let me down.
The Nikon Z9 is Nikon's latest flagship camera. This is the best camera that Nikon ever produced.
For wedding photography and event photography, the Nikon Z9's spectacular low-light performance is important when I'm photographing rapidly moving subjects in dark locations like hotel rooms, churches, reception halls, and hotel ballrooms. And its focus system is without peer allowing me to capture higher percentages of in-focus images.
For most events I simultaneously carry two Nikon Z9 camera bodies mounted with a Nikon Z 24-70 and Nikon Z 70-200 respectively.
For commercial product photography, the Z9 produces 45-megapixel files with incredible dynamic range. These files are perfect when size matters or when deep cropping is helpful.
This camera also offers 100% silent operation when needed.
Also, although I charge camera batteries after every job, I'm always ready for long days. When I'm working remotely away from my Think Tank camera bag, in addition to my in-camera battery, I always carry at least one standby battery.
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S Lens
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S Lens
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Lens
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S Lens
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens
- Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro Lens
- Nikon Z Teleconverter TC-2.0x
- Nikon Mount Adapter FTZ
I use the Nikon 14-24mm when photographing interior or exterior architecture, landscapes, or wedding spaces featuring wide vistas.
I use the Nikon 24-70mm and 70-200mm for event photography. Together they cover a common and useful focal range. The Nikon 24-70mm is for near action and group portraits while the Nikon 70-200mm is tasked with remote candid work and individual or small group portraits.
I use the Nikon 50mm for product photography because of its close working distance, incredible edge-to-edge sharpness, and focus-breathing performance.
And I use the Nikon 85mm for portrait and editorial photography. Distortion and vignetting are non-existent and it's also incredibly sharp. The small form factor and lightweight design also help reduce subject intimidation and make long sessions demanding.
The Nikon Z TC-2.0x Teleconverter is used with my Nikon Z 70-200mm when long distance work is required. That lens coupling doubles magnification while maintaining sharpness and clarity. That combination is especially useful in large churches, temples, convention centers, and event spaces that limit close access.
Finally, I use the Nikon FTZ adapter when mounting vintage or modern F-mount NIKKOR lenses on my mirrorless camera bodies.
Profoto offers professional photographers top-of-the-line flashes and light-shaping tools. I’ve used Profoto’s studio strobes exclusively during my photography career.
Profoto is the dominant brand in high-end studio lighting. Check out major fashion or editorial behind-the-scenes videos and you’ll see Profoto equipment. You’ll also see that same gear when you visit my Houston studio.
I’ve selected Profoto over other brands because of their industry-renowned build quality. High-quality components and robust construction offer reliability and resiliency in extreme conditions.
This means Profoto studio lighting consistently performs flawlessly during demanding all-day projects and over an unusually long product lifetime. That quality also means Profoto keeps working when other brands might fail.
Also, when I’m on the road, Profoto lighting equipment is available in photography rental houses worldwide. This means that when my commercial or editorial projects require travel, I can rent familiar equipment anywhere.
- Profoto A10 AirTTL-N Speedlight for Nikon (x4)
- Profoto A-Series Battery Mk II Li-Ion Battery for A10 (x4)
Although bargain third-party flashes like Godox and Yongnuo work with Nikon cameras, I prefer a robust build quality, high reliability, and fast recycle times over cheap imitations. These Profoto speedlights are also superior to the top-of-the-line Nikon speedlights that I've used previously.
With four speedlights, lighting versatility is assured whether I require a single off-camera flash or a complex studio lighting setup. Extra speedlights also provide a deep backup bench if lighting fails.
- Profoto B1X 500 AirTTL Battery-Powered Flashes (x2)
- Profoto B1 500 AirTTL Battery-Powered Flashes (x5)
I prefer Profoto B1 and B1X lights over the newer Profoto B10 and B10 Plus lights because the B1 and B1X provide faster recycling, more 500 Ws flashes per battery, better support for large light shaping tools, and are compatible with the Profoto Air USB for Profoto Studio Air remote.
Light Shaping Tools
- Profoto 5' RFi Octa Softbox
- Profoto 4' RFi Octa Softbox
- Profoto 4 x 6' RF Softboxes (x2)
- Profoto 4 x 6' RFi Softboxes (x2)
- Profoto 3 x 4' RFi Softboxes (x2)
- Profoto 2 x 3' RF Softboxes (x2)
- Profoto 1 x 6' RF Softboxes (x2)
- Profoto 1 x 4' RF Softboxes (x2)
- Profoto 1 x 3' RF Softboxes (x2)
- Profoto 2' OCF White Beauty Dish
- Profoto 2' OCF Octa Softbox
- Profoto Zoom Reflector 2 (x2)
- Profoto 5° Honeycomb Grid for Zoom Reflector 2 (x2)
- Profoto 20° Honeycomb Grid for Zoom Reflector 2
- Profoto Grid Kit for OCF Flash Heads
- Profoto Honeycomb Grid for D1 and B1 [5°]
- Profoto Snoot for OCF Flash Heads
- Profoto Speedring for OCF Flash Heads
- Profoto RFi Speed Ring Adapter for Softboxes (x8)
Profoto's light shaping help me create distinct lighting effects in any environment. I've admittedly purchased every major modifier over the years, but some jobs demand a unique solution.
- Profoto Air Remote TTL-N for Nikon
- Profoto Air Remote Transceiver
- Profoto Air USB for Profoto Studio Air
Profoto offers an incredible system for communications between the camera and remote flashes. These devices always work and that's important for commercial photographers who demand perfection when working on demanding projects.
- Profoto B1X 500 Lithium-ion Batteries (x2)
- Profoto B1 500 Lithium-ion Batteries (x10)
- Profoto Accessory Pouch (x5)
- Matthews Hollywood Century C Stand with Grip Arm Kit (x2)
- Matthews Senior Double Riser Rolling Steel Stand
- Matthews Baby Jr. Double Riser Rolling Steel Stand (x8)
- Matthews Mini Boom Arm
- Matthews Junior Boom Arm
- Matthews 24 x 36 Black Flag
- Matthews 25lb Saddle Sandbag (x8)
- Matthews Empty Saddle Sandbag (x7)
- Matthews Junior BOA 10 LB Sandbag (x7)
- Matthews Full Apple Boxes (x4)
- Matthews Half Apple Boxes (x4)
- Matthews Clamps, Hooks, Pins, Adapters, Arms, & Apple Boxes
- Manfrotto 5001B 74-Inch Nano Stand (x5)
- Manfrotto 231CS Chrome Steel Column Stand with Sliding Arm (8.2')
- Gitzo G-1348 Inter Pro Studex Mk2 Compact Performance Carbon Fiber Tripod
- Gitzo GT-1542T Series 1 Traveler 6x Carbon Fiber 4-Section Tripod
- Gitzo GT-5531S Series 5 6X Carbon Fiber 3-Section Systematic Tripod
- Gitzo GS5310GS Compact Aluminum Geared Center Column
- SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO CFexpress Card Type B (x4)
- SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO CFexpress Card Type B (x2)
- SanDisk 256GB Extreme UHS-I SDXC Memory Card (x3)
SanDisk is trusted by more professional photographers than any other brand. I started my career with SanDisk cards and still use them today.
SanDisk memory cards provide high-speed transfers and proven reliability. They're designed to withstand inclement weather, water exposure, and hard shocks. SanDisk is a Western Digital subsidiary, and their memory products carry a lifetime warranty.
When they're not in my cameras, my memory cards are stored in a virtually indestructible Pelican Memory Card Case. The case is made of a tough polycarbonate resin that provides form-fitting cutouts and an enclosure that securely protects against water and shock.
For extra insurance, I use weatherproof / waterproof silver polyester identification labels on my SD and CFexpress cards. Every label includes my name, email address, phone number, and "REWARD" text. If an unlikely loss or theft ever occurs, this preparation will pay dividends.
I'm incredibly risk adverse and those cards are included in my backup workflow strategy. My capture and storage precautions make sure your photos are never misplaced, overwritten, or lost due to memory card or hard drive failure.
When I purchase new memory cards, they're first tested with H2testw software. This hour-long test evaluates card capacity, write speed, read speed, errors, and identifies C and D flash memory that should have been destroyed. This means that I'm running reliable and authentic SanDisk memory cards.
- B+W 112mm F-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC Filter *
- B+W 58mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC-Nano Filter
- B+W 62mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC-Nano Filter
- B+W 82mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC-Nano Filter
- B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter
- B+W 77mm SC 103 Solid Neutral Density 0.9 Filter (3 Stop)
Really Right Stuff
- Really Right Stuff BD5-L L-Plate for Nikon D4 & D5 Bodies (2)
- Really Right Stuff B150-B Macro Focusing Rail
- Really Right Stuff B91-B Flash Bracket
- Really Right Stuff BH-40 Ball Head
- Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
- Really Right Stuff CB-28 28-inch Camera Bar
- Really Right Stuff FAS Clamp Fore-Aft Sliding Clamp (x2)
- Really Right Stuff Hi-Capacity Monopod Head with B2 AS II (MH-01-LR)
- Really Right Stuff LCF-10 Foot for Nikon VR/VR-II 70-200mm/f2.8
- Really Right Stuff LCF-14 Foot for Nikon 200-400mm and Nikon 300mm
- Really Right Stuff MPR-192 Rail
- Really Right Stuff PCL-1 Panning Clamp w/ PCL-DVTL Dovetail Adapter (x2)
- Really Right Stuff QD Strap Swivel D Loop (x4)
Really Right Stuff offers incomparable camera and lens support systems. I’ve used their ball heads, camera brackets, flash brackets, clamps, and panorama gear for 15+ years. Their machined-aluminum camera support systems are the lightest and most robust precision equipment available for photographers.
Think Tank Photo
- Think Tank Photo AA Battery Holder
- Think Tank Photo Airport Navigator Rolling Bag
- Think Tank Photo Airport Security V 3.0 Rolling Bag
- Think Tank Photo Artificial Intelligence 15 V3.0 Laptop Case
- Think Tank Photo Bazooka Tripod Bag
- Think Tank Photo Big Bazooka Tripod Bag
- Think Tank Photo Cable Management 10 V2.0
- Think Tank Photo CF/SD + Battery Wallet (x3)
- Think Tank Photo DSLR Battery Holder 2 (x2)
- Think Tank Photo Lightening Fast
- Think Tank Photo Production Manager 40 Rolling Bag (x2)
- Think Tank Photo Strobe Stuff
- Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 60 Shoulder Bag
- Think Tank Photo Video Rig 18 Rolling Bag
- Think Tank Photo Vision 13, Graphite
Camera bags are like potato chips—one is never enough. And when you require only the best roller bags, nobody does it like Think Tank Photo. Their products are the gear transportation gold standard.
Think Tank's padded bags transport my equipment reliability. That means my equipment always arrives safely. Their light weight and amazing portability make on-location work easier. Instead of lugging heavy gear, I can dedicate more energy to your photography.
- Photek Softlighter II Umbrella (x4)
- Impact 7' Improved Parabolic Umbrella (x2)
- AlienBees Silver 86” 16 Rib Parabolic Umbrella (x2)
- AlienBees White 64” 16 Rib Parabolic Umbrella (x2)
- Avenger A625B Baby Alu Stand 25 (x7)
- Avenger A630B Mini-Max Kit Stand (x7)
- Westcott 6-in-1 Reflector Kit
- Westcott Ice Light
- Wooster Brush Sherlock 2' - 4' Extension Pole (x2)
- Wooster Brush Sherlock 4' - 8' Feet Extension Pole (x2)
- Wooster Brush Sherlock 8' - 16' Extension Pole
- Sony 128GB XQD G Series Memory Card
- MindShift Gear Filter Nest Storage Case
- X-Rite ColorChecker Passport
- X-Rite ColorChecker Classic Card
- Pelican 0945 CF Memory Card Case (2)
Computer Hardware & Software
- Dell Precision 7740 Mobile Workstation
- 17.3" UltraSharp™ UHD 3840x2160 Panel Display w/ Camera & Microphone
- Intel Core Processor i9-9880H, 8 Core, 16MB Cache, 2.30GHz up to 4.80GHz Turbo, 45W, vPro
- 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR4 2666MHz Non-ECC Memory
- M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive [OS]
- 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Class 40 Solid State Drive
- Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Dual Band, 2x2, Wifi + Bluetooth 4.2
- 6 Cell 97 Whr Long Life Cycle Lithium Ion Polymer Battery 3 Year Warranty
- 3 Year ProSupport Plus with Next Business Day Onsite Service
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- Eizo ColorEdge CG277 27" Monitor
- Eizo ColorEdge CG2420BK 24" Monitor (x2)
- Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
- Logitech Spotlight Presentation Remote
- Logitech R800 Laser Presentation Remote
- Logitech MX Master 3 Wireless Laser Mouse Black
- Logitech G915 LIGHTSPEED Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with GL Tactile Switch, Black
- Wow!Pad LFR48 11.5" x 12.5" Graphite Gaming Pad
- Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 Charging Ports (x2)
- Buffalo MediaStation Portable BDXL Blu-Ray Writer BRXL-PT6U2VB
- Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface
- Audio-Technica AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- RODE PSA 1 Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm (x2)
- Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1500 Color Duplex Document Scanner
- Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, 6 Gbps Max Speed
- NETGEAR 8-Port 10G Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch XS508M
- NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi 6 Router RAX120 AX6000 Wireless 6Gps Speed
- NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router R9000 AD7200 Wireless 7200 Mbps Speed [Access Point]
- NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX7700 [Access Point]
- OWC Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports, 3x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A Ports, DisplayPort 1.2 Port, 10 Gigabit RJ45 Ethernet Port
- HP LaserJet Pro M281fdw All in One Wireless Color Laser Printer
- Sennheiser HD 6 Mix DJ Headphones
- Beats Studio3 Wireless Over‑Ear Headphones Matte Black
- Apple iPad mini Wi‑Fi 256GB Space Gray
- Apple iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi 512GB Space Gray (Gen 3)
- APC UPS 1500C VA Smart-UPS Battery Backup 120V Uninterruptible Power Supply SMC1500C Black (x2)
- APC UPS 1000VA Smart-UPS Battery Backup 120V Uninterruptible Power Supply SMC1000C Black for Cable Modem & Router
- CyberPower SL700U Standby UPS System, 700VA/370W Slim Profile for Switch
Backup Mobile Computer
- Apple 15" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer w/ Retina Display
- 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor
- 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
- 512GB Flash Storage
- BootCamp w/ Microsoft Windows 10
- QNAP TVS-872XT 128TB [16TB Seagate Exos Enterprise 7200 RPM ST16000NM001G] RAID 10 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS with Intel i5-8400T 6-Core 1.7 GHz, 16GB RAM, and 10GbE 05/2020 (x2)
- QNAP TVS-872XT 32TB [4TB WD Se Datacenter 7200 RPM WD4000F9YZ] RAID 0 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS with Intel i5-8400T 6-Core 1.7 GHz, 16GB RAM, and 10GbE 07/2020 (x2)
- QNAP TS-EC880 Pro 8-Bay NAS with Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3 3.4GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 3x USB 3.0 and 4x 10/100/1000 11/2014
- QNAP TS-870 8-Bay NAS with Intel Celeron G1620 2.7GHz Processor, 2GB RAM 07/2014
- Western Digital 10TB Elements USB 3.0 External Offsite Backup 07/2019 (x2)
- Western Digital 14TB Elements USB 3.0 External Offsite Backup 05/2020 (x2)
- Seagate 8TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Offsite Backup 05/2018
- Seagate 4TB External Hard Drives for Offsite Backup 04/2013 (x3)
- Adobe Lightroom Classic CC
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Illustrator CC
- Microsoft 365
- Photo Mechanic 6
- Eizo ColorNavigator 7
- Photodex ProShow Producer 7
- Pixellu SmartAlbums 2.3.11
- Google Chrome
- OBS Studio
- Malwarebytes Premium
- CompanionLink Synchronize