Tips for Resizing Photos
You may need to resize your photos—either dimensionally or by file size—for online uses.
If you don't need to resize your photos, you can skip this page.
Photograph dimensions are measured in pixels. Uncropped images from my cameras are either 5568 x 3712 pixels or 8256 x 5504 pixels—depending on which camera I used when I created your photographs.
Photograph file sizes are measured in megabytes (MB). Downloaded photograph file sizes range from 3MB to 14MB depending on image content.
To make images dimensionally smaller or reduce file sizes, you must reduce the original file dimensions.
Resize your photos referencing my basic instructions or search for photo resizing advice online.
PC Resizing Instructions
Follow these basic photo cropping instructions for Windows 10 PCs.
- Click the Windows Start button.
- Type the word photos. The search box will appear.
- Click on the Photos App option that appears on the search results list.
- Select the appropriate photo.
- Click the More Options button (three vertical dots) located at the top-right screen corner.
- Click the Resize option.
- Click on Define custom dimensions.
- Make sure that the Maintain aspect ratio checkbox is selected and then change the Width or Height value.
- Click the Save resized copy button.
- Choose a new filename and click the Save button.
Mac Resizing Instructions
Follow these basic photo resizing instructions for macOS.
- Select the photo by double-clicking.
- Choose Tools from the toolbar.
- Click the Adjust Size button located at the top of your screen.
- Make sure that the Scale proportionally checkbox is selected and then change the Width or Height value.
- Click the OK button.