Andaz Hotel Photographer
The Andaz Hotel is located in West Hollywood and is great location for brides and grooms looking for a rock and roll wedding reception or ceremony venue. In my many working as a Los Angeles area wedding photographer, I've never found another wedding venue that has a more pronounced rock 'n roll vibe. The Andaz Hotel has had many changes in ownership over the years but is now part of the Hyatt chain. Built in 1963, it has been known as the Gene Autry Hotel, the Continental Hyatt House, the Hyatt on Sunset, the Hyatt West Hollywood, and is now the Andaz West Hollywood.
The rooms at the Andez Hotel are pretty amazing. Many of them feature glass-enclosed sunrooms. But what many visitors may not realize is that they were once balconies. Rock stars and bands who were performing at Whisky a Go Go down the street were sometimes known to throw televisions from those balconies. And I guess that's a good reason to turn them into sunrooms. On a positive note, those sunrooms help allow for a beautiful light in the guest rooms which can help me use my photography skills and make some pretty spectacular wedding day getting ready photos for brides and bridesmaids and grooms and groomsmen. There's also rock and roll memorabilia in the lobby and the suites are decorated with reproductions.
In terms of wedding photography opportunities on a grand scale, this location is somewhat limited in comparison to other hotels with larger properties. That being said, it still offers some great locations for wedding photographers. The lobby area, stairway, and balcony that overlooks the lobby have some interesting architectural details. And the roof pool area offers some opportunities and even some greenery if you know where to see it.
There's quite a bit of rock and roll history associated with this hotel. Although not directly related to wedding photography or even my work as a Los Angeles photographer, I thought you might find some of these details interesting:
- Led Zeppelin often rented six floors of the hotel in the mid-to-late 1970s.
- Led Zepplin drummer John Bonham supposidly drove a motorcycle down the hallways.
- Guitarist Keith Richards (of the Rolling Stones) dropped a TV out of the window from room 1015. Keith Moon (of The Who) was also reported to have done the same thing from another room.
- Lemmy Kilmister composed "Motorhead" on one of the Andaz hotel's balconies.
- Robert Plant allegdly yelled out "I am a Golden God!" at the Sunset Strip from a balcony in 1975.
- One of the party scenes from the film "Spinal Tap" was filmed on the roof.
- Little Richard lived in room 319 during the 1980s and 1990s.
- Jim Morrison lived in the hotel until he was evicted after hanging out a window by his fingertips.
- Almost Famous was filmed in this hotel.
Copyright © 2017. Duplication of this actively monitored content is strictly prohibited and aggressively pursued. Los Angeles Photographer Rob Greer, 1439 Las Lunas St, Pasadena, CA 91106 - (626) 523-3123 - email@example.com - Privacy